I love Fall and as of yesterday it is here-hooray! Some of the things I love most about fall are the weather, my birthday :) and the flavors associated with fall for example all those yummy spices like cinnamon and nutmeg and the fall pie fillings like pumpkin, pecan and apple.
To celebrate Fall I decided to make some Apple Pocket Pies and so you can celebrate fall too I have a giveaway for my followers :) if you are not yet a follower not to worry you can become one and have a chance to win! I am giving away an apple pocket pie mold from Williams-Sonoma (click the link to check it out)
I am saving the cute Apple shaped mold I found for you guys so I used a heart shaped pocket pie mold I already had to make these delicious apple pocket pies
Perfect Pie Crust (adapted from Simply Recipes)
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for rolling
- 1 cup (2 sticks or 8 ounces) unsalted butter, very-cold, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 6 to 8 Tbsp ice water
- Combine flour, salt, and sugar in a food processor; pulse to mix. Add butter and pulse 6 to 8 times, until mixture resembles coarse meal, with pea size pieces of butter. Add ice water 1 Tbsp at a time, pulsing until mixture just begins to clump together. If you pinch some of the crumbly dough and it holds together, it's ready. If the dough doesn't hold together, add a little more water and pulse again.
- Remove dough from machine and place in a mound on a clean surface. Gently shape into 2 discs. Knead the dough just enough to form the discs, do not over-knead. You should be able to see little bits of butter in the dough. These small chunks of butter are what will allow the resulting crust to be flaky. Sprinkle a little flour around the discs. Wrap each disc in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour, and up to 2 days.
For my apple filling I did not really use a recipe I just peeled and chopped up 2 gala apples and a golden delicious apple and then seasoned them about a 1/3 cup brown sugar, a small handful of all purpose flour, a couple shakes of apple pie spice, several shakes of cinnamon and then then a squirt of lemon juice.
Once I had the apples ready to go I preheated my oven to 350 degrees and took out one of my dough circles and rolled it out (I got two pocket pies per circle- with dough left over that I threw back in the fridge for later). After you have rolled out your dough and cut the pieces to make you pocket pie it is time to load up the mold. I threw flour into both sides of my mold to keep the dough from sticking when it came time to unload the pie from the mold. I tried cooking spray 1st and that did not really work- FYI.
I learned as I went with this recipe… this was my first try at loading the mold and I quickly learned that the apples in the filling needed to be smaller. So I took my apple mixture and just threw it in my food processor and pulsed it a few times. After that things went much more smoothly!
Smaller apples pieces in the mold with the dough ready to be pressed together.
After I pressed the pocket pie together I placed it on a cookie sheet that I had sprayed with cookie spray. Just repeat the process until you have the number of pocket pies you want. I only made 4 and had dough and filling left so my guess is that you could get 8 pocket pies from this recipe.
I made an egg white wash and brushed it over the tops of my pies and then baked them for 20 minutes- or until the apple mixture seems a little bubbly and the pie crust has a nice crisp golden brown finish to it.
Now onto the important part- The Giveaway!
There are 4 ways below to get entries into my giveaway for this fun kitchen gadget! The giveaway will close on October 1st (the day before my birthday:)!) I will randomly choose a winner from all the entries- Once we have a winner I will post the winner here on the site and wait for them to contact me- so be sure to check back on October 3rd to see if you won- :) good luck everyone!
1. Like my Facebook page and leave a comment on this post: “I like you on Facebook.” (1 entry)
2. Follow Tennesseesugar on Twitter and then comment on this post:” I follow TennesseeSugar and your Twitter name.” (1 entry)
3. Share with a friend on facebook or tweet a link to your favorite Tennessee Sugar blog post and then comment on this post- make sure to include the @tennesseesugar in your tweet -”My favorite Tennessee sugar blog post is…(fill in the blank)” (1 entry)
4. For my already loyal Facebook followers you can just leave a comment on this post about anything Tennessee Sugar and the name you go by on facebook! (1 entry)
You must leave comments on this post to enter in the giveaway. Also as of right now I can only ship the prize to an Address in the United States-sorry.