Well September is here and it is National Apple month! I will be trying several different apple recipes over the course of September. To kick things off I decided to make an applesauce pound cake. This cake is very tasty- it has cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and ginger in which gives it that taste of Fall. It was a huge hit at our house- both my daughters loved it!
- I cup butter (unsalted)
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- zest of a medium size lemon ( I just used a very fine grater all over the outside of my lemon)
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 2/3 cups applesauce ( I used unsweetened)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees- spray a bundt pan with cookie spray
- Cream butter until light and creamy. Add sugar, mix well. Add the eggs one at a time, scraping the bowl occasionally until they are all incorporated. Mix in the vanilla and lemon zest. In a separate bowl mix together all of the dry ingredients; add to the batter alternating with the applesauce, mixing on low speed.
- Pour batter into the prepared cake pan. Bake for about an hour- test by sticking a toothpick in and having it come out clean. Let cake cool well in the pan before trying to remove it - I mean it- I
- did not wait and p[art of my cake did not come out with the rest :(
- finish off by dusting with powdered sugar
The smells of this cake will fill your home and you will have a hard time
waiting to cut a big slice and enjoy your tasty creation.